Aircraft Maintanance

Steve Nomer steve at stevesplace.info
Sat Nov 12 09:12:31 PST 2011

A US Air Force C-130 was scheduled to leave Thule Air Base, Greenland, at
midnight. During the pilot's pre-flight check, he discovers that the latrine
holding tank is full from the last flight so an airman who was off duty is
called out to take care of it. The young man makes his way to the aircraft only
to find that the latrine pump truck has been left outdoors and is frozen solid,
so he must find another one in the hangar, which takes even more time.

He returns to the aircraft and is less than enthusiastic about what he has to
do. Nevertheless, he goes about the pumping job deliberately and carefully and
slowly so as not to risk criticism later.

As he's leaving the plane, the pilot and says, "Son, your attitude and
performance has caused this flight to be late and I'm going to personally see to
it that you are not just reprimanded but punished."

Shivering in the cold, his task finished, he takes a deep breath, stands tall
and says, "Sir, with all due respect, I'm not your son. I'm an Airman in the
United States Air Force. I've been in Thule, Greenland, for 11 months without
leave. I have one stripe. It's -40 degrees, and my job is to pump shit out of an
aircraft. Now, just exactly what form of punishment did you have in mind?"